Translational Computer Science (TCS) refers to research that bridges foundational, use-inspired, and applied research with the delivery and deployment of its outcomes to a target community. It supports essential bi-direction interplays where delivery and deployment processes inform the research. TCS builds on the well-known paradigm of Translational Medicine (TM) and maps the accepted three pillars of TM, namely the Bench, the Bedside and the Community into analogues that are relevant for computing, namely Laboratory, Locale and Community.The term was coined by Abramson and Parashar in 2019.
- A paper in IEEE Computer proposing Translational Computer Science (TCS) as a complementary mode of computer science research that can accelerate its impact across science and society.
- Special issue of the Journal of Computational Science which presented a number of case studies that illustrate TCS and expose the underlying processes and challenges.
- Translation computer science – Overview of the special issue
- The Pegasus workflow management system: Translational computer science in practice
- The virtual assay software for human in silico drug trials to augment drug cardiac testing
- Translational research in the MPICH project
- The MVAPICH project: Transforming research into high-performance MPI library for HPC community
- Translating the grid: How a translational approach shaped the development of grid computing
- Building cyberinfrastructure for translational impact: The WIFIRE example
- Computational analysis of cardiac structure and function in congenital heart disease: Translating discoveries to clinical strategies
- Translating novel HPC techniques into efficient geoscience solutions
- Principles, technologies, and time: The translational journey of the HTCondor-CE
- Translational process: Mathematical software perspective
- Translational computer science at the scientific computing and imaging institute
- A department in IEEE Computers in Science and Engineering containing case studies that document the approach
Public presentations and keynote addresses
|Translational Computer Science as a Paradigm Underpinning eScience||DA||October 2022||IEEE eScience 2022 Keynote address|
|Translational Research Computer Science and its application to Supercomputing||DA||Nov 2021||IEEE SC21 Ken Kennedy Award talk|
|Translational Research in Computer Science||DA||October 2020||RIVF (Research, Innovation and Vision for the Future)|
|Translational Research in Cluster Computing||DA||September 2021||IEEE Cluster 2021|
|Translational Computer Science||DA||February 2022||International Conference Series on Software and Computer Applications|
|Experiences in Translational Computer Science Research: Data-Management for Extreme Science||MP||June 2022||HPDC 2022|
|Returning to the Scene of the Crime: Perspective on Translational Computer Science Research||MP||September 2022||CCDSC 2022|
|Experiences in Translational Computer Science Research: Data-Management for Extreme Science||MP||September 2022||PPAM 2022|
Some seminar downloads are available at Downloads.